Canada’s Cannabis Act: Annotation & Commentary identifies the relevant case law and underlying legislation used to draft the Cannabis Act
This text book is an annual annotated review of the federal Cannabis Act, which came into force on October 17, 2018.
For ease of navigation, the book is structured according to the sections of the Cannabis Act. The Act is comprised of 15 Parts, and uses provisions either directly from or modified from the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act, and the Food and Drug Act. Accordingly, the most relevant case law under each of these Acts is examined, with appropriate cases selected to interpret the Cannabis Act.
And now, with more cases under the Cannabis Act being released, the book provides analysis of these most recent cases, helping you decide what to do with your own business decisions.
- Overview commentary for each part and division of the Act
- Thematic annotation of key sections
- New chapter on the racist legislative history of the 95 years of Canadian cannabis prohibition and a review of the case law that led to its end.
- Full text of all Regulations and commentary on the leading cases.
- Written by Russell Bennett, a cannabis lawyer who advises businesses in the cannabis industry, and who has commented on Canada’s cannabis laws in his creative productions for over 20 years, and by Alan Young, Professor Emeritus of law at Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, who retired in 2018. This year, we are proud to have on board our new research editor, Tamar Friedman.
Canada’s Cannabis Act is a Useful Resource
The 2021/2022 edition of the Cannabis Act: Commentary & Annotation will be of interest to:
Criminal, Corporate, Municipal, Employment, Litigation, Intellectual Property, Tax, Privacy, Regulatory
Federal, provincial and municipal administrations
Licensed Producers, Retailers, Processors, Media, Entrepreneurs
Law enforcement officers
Municipal officers, provincial officers, RCMP, military police
Law schools, universities, public libraries
About Russell Bennett
Russell Bennett, B.Sc., LL.B., founded our law firm Cannabis Law to give cannabis businesses the tools to plan and protect themselves.